Food for thought.

I never realized house hunting could be such an enriching experience. It’s not over ..and neither is the merry-go-round.

I was waiting for the agent in the wrong (or maybe the right after all) place…I decided to make the most of my wait.. and casually asked a shopkeeper if there were houses on rent in that area, that he knew of– turns out this guy himself was an agent – and  - “would I want to see a house in that very building ?,  how synchronous I think, –that was about to go on rent? – Of course I said – and went with this person to the 6th floor flat – obviously unannounced.

The lady of the house was unapologetically annoyed with the agent for “barging in on a Sunday”  and refused to allow anyone in.. I stood there just watching all this heated exchange – at least this was something different from watching the busy traffic go by noisily. She caught me looking at her and softened – I look away, slightly embarrassed, I didn't particularly want to go anyway – she addressed me and said she was sorry and it wasn't about me  and I could go in and see the house – but the agent stayed out.. I smiled ..a little amused..

She was de-shelling green peas with her 20yr. old son watching some TV show – no wonder she was annoyed – I thought. I went around the house -  it was ..well..messy and crowded and I already didn’t like it . In 2 minutes I had made up my mind….I went to see the kitchen last .same thing ..crowded.

But then I noticed the unmistakable biryani pot on the gas - with the heavy grinding stone kept on the dough sealed lid - ..simmering with promise.. and the delicious  aroma of  Hyderabadi  biryani (the best kind) reached me.. so I casually asked her if that is in fact what it was.. she was delighted and her eyes lit up as she confirmed and also added that she had made it...pause...she asks  if I  would like to eat some ..I,  of course said no.. she insisted - even as I was leaving the house after 3 minutes.... I smile and agree without too much thought or further ado.

She goes to the kitchen takes a fancy plate and I get the privilege of getting the first cut .. her maid working in the kitchen watches –unsmiling and confused.. I am after all a stranger….

I sit and eat the really delicious biryani which, Naz, my new friend has made and we talk about her kids and what she is planning to do after she moves – her pride and concern about her older sons job interview - her husbands business of interiors etc. – interjected with her very generous  - “please have some more" – and .. "I am sorry there the raita–(salad) is not ready"

As I am relishing both ,the food and the conversation, - I think of at least half a dozen friends who would give me a, well meaning, earful about my “Irresponsible behaviour” – and how can I just walk into some random house – and sit and eat a full meal…. I think about…how trust is such an effortless act and feeling in most cases.. and while the world may be turning topsy-turvy with all kinds of crimes etc.. it has not yet fallen apart. The reason, I suspect  - are these pockets of kindness and trust and connection that still exists…that underneath all the fears and prejudices people want to trust and connect.

I breathe in deeply after my last morsel.. nourished in my body and heart.

I am done with eating and ready to go now..Naz tells me that she will speak to few people about my requirement and make sure that I don't end up paying the high agent fee.. I am touched by her concern...we hug – slightly longer than what you would a -“stranger”. She assures me I am not alone in the new area should I choose to move. I smile – we exchange phone numbers and I come down .

The street is still crowded – but the strangers  have a familiar face now. I am filled with a deep sense of security and gratitude,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Thought and Commenst are welcome:

An Ode to the Bolero.