April Fool


This morning as I sit sipping tea ..reading the newspaper…With the morning sun streaming from behind And watch the playful shadow of my Plants With my maids humdrum in the background 

Some snippets of conversation while she tells me about her Life as usual…

Three daughters and mother.. Husband who is conspicuous by his absence. .And oh! And By the way
Three school going sons of her sister who passed away 2 yrs. ago…again no husband.

Her oldest daughter, class 3 student is an amazing dancer..(can she join the shama dava class didi?) . Second one is down with Jaundice … Some property fight back in the village…And an occasional fight in her basti ...the regular drunk- husband- beating-wife drama, Which of course, she gets in the middle of... choosing not to be one of the crowd that is standing and watching ; and … gets a black eye. Punched rib.. as a take away.

I listen...because that is all I can do really... as Neelam, my Maid...rants off all this...punctuated by
Giggles. Or .. A matter of fact “what else could I do? … I couldn’t not help her  - na"

As I think about theses 10 minutes conversation with her ..I end up most days saying a quick prayer for her…and for me..I count my blessings..


This morning. She is early….

She has to take her jaundiced daughter to particular place for some medicine before the sun is up.
And suddenly my quiet morning is abruptly broken by her …”didi..didi.. jaldi Aao” - Come quick

I rush to the kitchen.. to see..
And find Neelam burst into uncontrollable laughter… as she is squealing ...”April Fool” “April Fool”

And I laugh as well..

She then goes on to tell me her master plan where she and her friend, Manisha have hatched about “Who should we fool this year..”

You see.. she does this every year - and with no less fervour than preparing for Diwali…

And amidst her past stories of April fool.. and also some plans that didn’t quite go down well with the ..victims… 

Neelam suddenly asks me

So..who will YOU fool this year didi ?..

A Very matter of fact question.. very serious .. like everyone does this… and ..I am sure you have thought about this - kind of a tone…

I am silent…
And not because I am quiet.

I am asking myself the same question
Who will I fool this year?? ..Who am I fooling every year.. Who are we fooling every day ???
and not just on April 1st….

When was the last time you took such efforts to plan ..an April fools day

What happened to all those fun times…

I know …some will say ..”Well we grew up. We are not children any more” -- too bad actually..

But then so has Neelam… How come she can still do it?? I go back to ..Count my blessings…

And I am wondering… for all the comforts that we have… all the great thoughts we read.. all the intelligent discussion about the world and its state…

Neelam- without all this seems to have all the fun.. Doesn’t quite add up, does it?

Wonder what could a “World conference” of strategies and Innovative methods ..of being silly an bring more joy to people around.. would look like??

Are we really privileged?? Or are we missing something??

Something that is called …. being in the moment...sharing...conversations.. being silly.. really planning for joy.. maybe

Or Just smiling and being the Fool…


1 comment:

  1. Two articles here we beautiful to read and had brilliant insights. Thank you for that. I visited your blog because I had admired what you'd written at TED.com:


    I'm passionate about

    Growth..Vulnerability..Innovation..Deconstruction..Reversing Neural Paths..

    An idea worth spreading

    "I want to change the world but I don't have time"
    All you need is 30 Minutes. ----- Changing the World 30 Minutes:


    1. Whenever Someone is Not Listened to ..a little bit of Violence gets Born inside of him...and Consequently ... a little more Violence is added to the World...

    30 Minutes Solution:
    If EVERYONE spend just 30 Minutes a DAY ...LISTENING to someone..ANYONE completely ...the Violence in our world will come down..Noticeably.

    2. Spend 30 Minutes everyday just dong what YOU love to do..unapologeticaly ...read--sing--play--sleep--shower--play cook..anything !!!

    3. At Work ..for 30 Minutes switch off as many electrical gadgets you can ..PC ..lights.. ..printer..AC ..and ask your colleagues, department., organization to do the same..maybe in turns..



    Talk to me about

    Innovation.. Social Enterprise..


    http://cowtowne.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Your Thought and Commenst are welcome:

An Ode to the Bolero.