Annie Miss

Some words ..at the right time go a long way..and so does Faith. !!

I was studying in class 1, in Little Angel’s High School, Sion - Bombay, (India)  My dad worked with Air India at that time. And my class 1 English teacher Annie Miss would tease me all the time about asking my dad to give her a free ticket. English was my favourite subject, by elimination.

This was a time I was to go on an “Aeroplane” trip for the first time. There was still more than a month for the trip. But I was so excited. I went announcing from the roof tops. In addition to jumping around all the time.  I was also very fond of books, stars and collecting Shiny stones, coins, cards, flowers..and memories.

So, as was inevitable, the, not-so-little, “Rumour” that I was going on a trip reached Annie Miss. And in her English class she asked me, in front of the whole class, what was I going to get for her from “Foreign” (Anywhere in an Aeroplane was foreign, by the way)

And I looked at her...I really liked her…she had hair like my doll…and I wanted to get the BEST for her. So I said, “I will the Stars for you Miss” – and not in a poetic way..(I didn't know what poetic way was ..then) . ... Because I really thought when I was in an aeroplane and going through the sky... I could just put my hand out and ‘pluck’ some stars out. Simple!!, That was my plan anyway..just an added note to self to get some for her as well...

She said thank you, smiled at me and then asked me to see her in the staff room at recess. (I have to tell you  ...Being called in the 'staff room' isn’t the most exciting thing, even when you like the teacher)

Anyway, Mustering all my courage, and my best ‘Brave face’ – I walked to her in the staff room. 
The walk to her chair which was toward the end of the long..noisy, humm.. teachers also make a lot of noise, room..dodging other teachers their chairs and inquisitive looks...

When I reached her, she smiled, bent down and removed a zippered transparent plastic bag out of her  handbag, and gently gave it to me.

I looked at it quizzically, not really knowing what to make of it... Annie Miss smiled, as said, “When you pluck the stars that you are going to get for me...Put them in this bag...and lock the zip. That way you can also see them…and they won’t fall off your hand” .. Ok??

I nodded, thought it was good idea, took the bag and left the room.

Just like that, with a smile and a plastic bag; my teacher…gave me a whole ‘other’ world.

Years later…when I think of this incident, I realise that I came out of that room to a new me…Someone who believed she could do ANYTHING!!! …get the stars even,  if she wanted…there was not an iota of doubt in my heart about whether it “possible” or not.  

It was of course possible. Annie miss said so.

She didn’t scorn at my childish idea... she didn’t laugh and just baby me… she didn’t give me a long lecture on how... Stars really are very far off….out of reach... and, of course you can’t open the windows in the airplane... Because the flight is pressurized…No Logic.

Nothing.
She just showed faith in what I said... and just went along… Anyway…

I have grown up to be a person, who can jump off a cliff and NEVER doubt that I will be held...or be taught how to fly...

I have grown to believe in Magic… in Stars...and that I can do anything my heart wants...

I grew up with Faith and belief...and ALL because my teacher believed in me...and my wishes..Well, maybe not all..some of it was also because of my grandma and Unicorn.

I know this will always be a part of me... the wonder of it all... While on one side, logic plays a part, there is a lot that science cannot explain…there is whole other world full of possibilities...and stars, which for some may seem out of reach… for some.

My Annie miss told me...That I can get them if I want.  And so I will.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Thought and Commenst are welcome:

An Ode to the Bolero.