Emergency for Emergence ?

The recent Pulwana terror attack in India on February 14th 2019 is bone chilling, and somehow feels more real as we see pictures and videos everywhere. 
I don't watch TV or read news, now with good reason too. And so I was suddenly jolted into the tangible reality and magnitude of this incident when I received a whats-app message from my mother-in-law, of a prayer chain for the soldiers who died trying to keep others safe.
I sat upright and began to think how much different this was then, say maybe be 15 years ago. When an incident like that was more a statistic than story of a brother or a son, that we knew, and more importantly mourned for. Even as I did forward the mail, a behavior I don't subscribe to generally –
I wondered at the power of the collective intent to move people they did not even know and lead a movement without even knowing it.
Do we always need an emergency for emergence?
Sometimes the cost of the emergency, just because have we have gotten used to it, may be too high. A heart attack, a death, a broken relationship, an injured foot, a shutdown, a tsunami .. . We don't have to win at a losing game.
Are we going to be a bystander in our own life and the world we live in or are we going to take responsibility and participate?
 How powerful an impulse was that. This also reminded me of the Nirbhaya case few years ago when the whole Nation became united. 
A collective experience of connection with a fellow human being. Pain somehow made the borders porous.
My heart at once felt a deep sense of loss for the lives that went off in a jiff and a sense of profound hope for us as people for allowing the emergence of humanity to express itself. Doesn't matter the medium. 
However - I am left with an uneasy question,
 On further contemplation on the fractal of this phenomena…. I realised this was also true in my personal life. Few years ago I was 20 kgs overweigh, stuck in a situation in my life for close to 10 years unable to move on, even though I wanted to. I then met with an accident on my birthday which then of course made me move. Newtons law of motion certainly held true: Any object will continue to stay in its state of inertia until acted upon by an external force.
Reminder to self - I am not an object.  
As a leadership consultant with organisations, I have also seen this emergency for emergence phenomena play out. The ‘unhealthy’ practices and systems will continue to exists and carry on without realising its higher potential, and the excuse being we are good - Untill the impulse to move from good to great takes over naturally or forcibly. Sometimes it looks like drastic steps, shutting down some bleeding business, make the organization leaner by letting people go -all of this certainly painful, but in the longer view serving the growth impulse.

My question, again – Do we need emergency for emergence?? - If not what else is the other option?
In evolutionary context, as thinking beings, we have the ability to self reflect and connect abstract dots in order to be an intelligent participant in the process consciously. If we don't do this, we are still anyways unconsciously choosing – but this way we cannot be the “designers” we merely become the ‘designed”. Nouns not verbs.
We are currently in times where exponential good and bad are happening simultaneously. Technology is very quickly accelerating the process – in the way information and communication gets organised and broadcast. And the freedom to do so. 
And so, we have two choices
Allow the unconscious pull of the pain, suffering and attachment to the past to continue and keep waiting for emergency after emergency to wake us up and move forward....
Or,
Consciously mindfully and intelligently learn from the past patterns and predict and redesign a more elegant beautiful future.  
Because if we don't do it, the default will happen anyways.
Its time we start the movement. - The choice needs clarity.

The future of our generations may well depend on that answer.

Rhea

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Thought and Commenst are welcome:

An Ode to the Bolero.