Chikki Bar

Travelling to Delhi and back is an ordeal in itself. To top it my flight was at 9pm. I had been working back-to-back from 8.30 am. And I had had a few really hard days emotionally and physically. All in all I wasn’t in any mood for gay.

After randomly browsing through people, on a very crowded airport, reminding me of Kolkata train station. People sitting on the floor with their bags..eating etc.,  I gave up.

I was reluctantly and rebelliously hungry, so I ordered a Pizza (eye roll).. Waited for 25 minutes and then answered to a butchered version of my name being called (a few times since I didn’t not recognize it I didn’t go to get my Spicy supreme Pizza) – He was annoyed  - I competed - He won.

I very roughly took the pizza ..balancing the Bag and the luggage bag looked around in vain at the over  crowded sitting area..to notice who was ..about to get up.

A lady suddenly caught my eye and signaled me to go to their table..I did..thinking they were done. But she got up and offered me her seat..while still eating from her husbands plate. I was reluctant..but she insisted that I had too many things on my hands  (which was true in more ways than one)

When I still refused to sit..she held my hand sat me down and almost tucked me in.
And to not embarrass me further she turned away and got into a conversation with her husband.

I was touched ... to say the least at this generous random act of kindness, just when I needed it.

I looked around me at the cacophony of human beings and wondered at the collective potential for kindness… If only.

The food(not so much the Pizza) nourished my soul..

Waking up from this revere I suddenly realized that I was about to get late to board ..so I rushed.. I tried to look for this angel lady but they had long since left. I offered a silent thank you prayer

I went off and after a long snake queue (in which I stood – normally I just sit it out) this day I felt I had a little spring in my step

As far as I was concerned my evening was made..with this touch of Magic.. but the universe wasn't done ..yet.

We got on to the bus that takes us to the flight.. I was standing with my earphones plugged in.. A very tall lady walked and stood in front of me. Still reading, “White Magic”. I smile to myself at the “Coincidence" and make a mental note of checking this book out. Another, hassled young mother of two kids also came and stood  next to me. The little boy of 2 kept making loud noises and gestures. Much to the embarrassment of this mother.

And then another person, an old important looking businessman in a grey business suit entered with the familiar laptop bag over filled. I noticed he was eating a chikki bar (An Indian sweet candy made up of peanuts and jaggery) in a rather fast hurried focused pace.. like he was hungry..or distracted...deep in his thoughts.  Before the bus got filled and moving he had  finished two bars.. I was amused.

The Chikki  looked good.. groundnut jaggery in a pink foil wrapper.
I had a sudden craving for sweet. I swallowed and looked away ..forcing myself to be distracted.

The man again reached out in his laptop bag and pulled out yet another chikki bar.. I noticed he had a bag full.

By now the little 2 year old boy and me were both eyeing the chikki that the man was eating.. the boy kept reaching out and I smiled at him..secretly telling him to ask for me too.

The mother, of course even more embarrassed kept telling him “to behave himself and not ask for things from strangers" ... I smile thinking what if the boy became a sales person.. he he he ... The tall lady also looked up and almost admonished the little boy.

It crossed my mind whether this incident would remain in the grown up memory of this little boy and would he hold himself back from asking for what he wanted…

The bus kept moving.
Not at the pace of my imagination, thankfully.

The man miraculously turned his attention from his determined focus on the chikki bar and caught the little boy drama..and good-naturedly reached out in his goody bag and pulled another chikki bar and offered it to the very happy boy..

This was my chance ... !!

Before I could catch myself.....I said,  “I also want one” .... Silence !!

He paused…
The mother paused..

It was comical... I swear, like  a road runner moment.

and the white magic lady looked up at me..I am pretty sure with a,  "I can't believe you just did that " look

I, well... I just waited … laughing in my head..

After this suspended moment the man registered what had just happened....

He grinned a big grin and said a  loud ... “Sure … of course.. they are really tasty” .. I know .. he suddenly morphed into a funnily dressed but really friendly Santa Claus.

I took that bar readily and happily. Our man.. suddenly felt so good at sharing offered it to the tall lady also ..who(very sophisticatedly) declined . Our man now caught in the flow, offered it to the driver of the bus..who was suddenly very happy as well.. somehow he was caught in the avalanche of giving…and almost noticing how much better it felt to not just eat alone.(of course worked great for me J )


The man and I laughed and the mother joined in, it looked like it had been a while that she hadn't laughed.... a few stray, also tired people ..who were pretending not to notice all this..also joined the laughter…

Suddenly from a somber tired irritated late evening.. it felt like a Christmas night.

We got off ..a very different bunch of people that when we got in...!!!

Santa Claus (you know who) .. was chuffed. And so were a lot of other people including the boy who was driving our bus..I don’t think anyone notices him.

And somehow everyone was a little more aware of the others around and wanted to see if they would also help and give something... It was one of those feel good moments video you see on youtube.

I didn't need to get on the flight and fly.. I was already high

As I sat down in my seat.. I was struck by two things …

The Power of asking like a child brought out the innocence of giving. And how both benefitted. 

I hope we can ask like the little child and not get struck with the grown up do and don’ts..and live with regrets.

and how it is so natural for human beings to want to be part of something which is inherently good and innocent. ..and how much of this we have forgotten in the process of growing up ..pretending to.

And yes..

Between the angel lady who tucked me in and Santa Claus who gave me 2 (yes) bars of Chiikki.. I felt really good and taken care of.

Note to self: Ask for what you want.and don't forget to thank the Universe

All in all Delhl trip was good.




  



2 comments:

  1. Whoa!
    I still remember you asking for a piece of Dosa en route Auroville. It always works.. because of the lightness of your being.. and the warmth of your heart.
    ...
    And I understand better.. how and why its been difficult to find time.. too many things on your hand (in more ways than one)
    ..
    And I just ordered 'white magic'
    ...
    do write more.. hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice... Thanks for reminding about a small innocent child in each one of us... It was my pleasure to go through this wonderful experience. Thanks Rhea

    ReplyDelete

Your Thought and Commenst are welcome:

An Ode to the Bolero.