Touched


3 Days ago I ran out of bread for my crows..it was around 1 in the afternoon and I had just about 30 minutes before my next zoom call, and their feed time. So I quickly went down to our only Milk and bread store. I took two packets of bread and noticed a young man, maybe 27-28 yrs in blue demin and shirt could easily be a college student, guessing by the shoulder bag he had on his shoulders.He was waiting at a ‘safe distance “ I presumed for me to move aside before he came closer. I did .
He then moved a little close..still safe distance and asked , if could get bread and half litre milk for him… I have to admit, inside me I was a bit surprised, but I didn't let it show..I gave him one of the two loaves of bread I was holding and asked the shopkeeper to pack half a litre of milk.
The well-meaning shop owner asked the young man how was he going to have bread with raw milk..and that he should take lassi instead..the young man politely refused and said he just wanted half litre of milk..even as someone was packing the milk in a thin plastic bag, the shop owner again insisted with questions..about how was he going to make tea?? He should take lassi . the boy yet again said he just wanted half litre milk…
I was silently watching all this, I had to get back… but at this point I felt I had to intervene..and I told the shop owner that if the boy wanted milk to just give him milk…I quickly asked the boy if there was anything else he wanted. He refused. ..I thought it was done.
The half litre milk was now packed in a bag and kept on the counter in front of this young man.. But he just stood there without taking it..I wasn't sure what to do.. I looked at him..the milk..the shop owner and back to him… he looked at me .. the milk and back…(If it wasn't so quiet it would have been comical… it was like scene from some art movie) ..
I had already asked if he wanted anything else and he had said no..so I really didn't know what to do now.. The shop owner and his milk packing assistance were also now silent spectators of this ..suspense… I wasn't about to make any move..because I didn't know what the move was.
After a few minutes..the young man pointed to the milk bag and said to me..in english “why don't you give it to me..”… I was a little relived..a little surprised but then I thought it must be some kind of self-respect thing.. I felt good…proud even, of this person.. I picked the bag and kept it on his outstretched palm.. He didn't “hold” the bag..he just let it stay..so I could not let go of it either..
The young man then looked at me straight in the eye..and ..I swear his eyes had gone …still..and had changed… we were locked in that moment. He then said..in hindi….. in a very different voice from what I had heard so far, this voice was different.. more… distant and kind of old
He said ..” Brahmhand ne mujhe aur apko iis kshan me yahan bheja hai ..ke me apke ke haaton se ye amrit loon”…. Pause.. “ Appka hamesha bhala ho” . Translation : (the Universe has sent you and me in this moment, for me to accept this nectar with your hands….pause… may you always be blessed”…
And then, just like that, he turned and left…with his loaf of bread and half litre milk….
Leaving me feeling shocked .. expanded …touched ..in awe….
Like I had just had....... a conversation with god….
I could almost swear that afternoon there were more crows who came to have the bread…
God ..takes many forms…certainly !!!!

~ Rhea

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Thought and Commenst are welcome:

An Ode to the Bolero.